The purpose of the Livingston County Parent Coalition is to increase parent |
participation in early childhood planning and decision making for our county.
The Great Start Parent Coalition gives parents and caregivers a chance to have a voice in a truly “grassroots” effort to advocate for children in Livingston County. The Great Start effort is founded on these core beliefs:
- All parents want their children to be healthy, safe and successful.
- Parents are their children’s first and best teachers.
- We will not be strong and effective without input from parents.
Your involvement in the Great Start Parent Coalition is valuable because early childhood programs, services and supports are designed to meet the needs of you and your child. Your voice can help shape the delivery of programs and services for young children, as well as assist state legislators, service providers and businesses to understand the importance of providing high-quality, early childhood programs for ALL children.
If you would like to build leadership and advocacy skills to benefit young children, you should join. Parents are leaders when they speak on behalf of their own children, a group of children or when speaking out for all children. Advocacy comes in all forms, not just change in legislation.
If you are looking for a social outlet or opportunity to network with other like minded parents in Livingston County you should join. Meetings are filled with teaching experiences and problems to wrestle, with the added benefit of free child care and reimbursed mileage. Meetings are scheduled on different days and times to allow parents with various schedules to attend.
- If you want to increase your knowledge of resources and services available to children and families you should join
The Parent Coalition is open to anyone serving in a parenting role of any young child, age 12 and under, who resides in Livingston County.
Here are just a few ways our parents stay “plugged in”:
Contact the Parent Liaison: Sarah Smith - firstname.lastname@example.org |
Laura Coatsworth -
email@example.com for more information.
- Electronic members - parents who stay in tune with what’s going on through email, facebook or twitter.
- Supportive members - parents who attend events and support the flow of information to and from their community circles but can’t commit to attending meetings.
- Participating members - parents who attend meetings regularly, volunteer at Great Start Collaborative/Parent Coalition events, and actively support the flow of information to and from their community circles.
- Great Start Collaborative Parent Members - parents who actively serve on both the Parent Coalition and the Great Start Collaborative.